Frequently asked questions

How do I apply?

First you need to contact us through the the form INTERESTED and fill in your details. Next, we will contact you and give you more information about the enrollment process.

What are the entry requirements to apply?

  1. At least 18 years old
  2. Speak English fluently
  3. Basic knowledge in maths and science
  4. Pass our Pilot Aptitude Test

Do I have what it takes to become a pilot?

There are definitely some personality types that are more suitable than others. For example, typical characteristics of a great pilot are:

  • Strong teamwork skills
  • Good concentration
  • Good hand-to-eye coordination
  • Strong analytical skills
  • Good co-ordination skills
  • An ability to remain calm under pressure
  • An ability to lead others in a positive manner

Before commencing pilot training you will also need to pass a medical check to determine that you are physically and mentally fit.

What is a Medical Certificate?

A medical certificate is required for anyone who wants to exercise the privileges of being a pilot. The reason is to make sure each person is mentally and physically fit to be responsible for the aircraft, passenger or cargo that they will be flying.

What does the medical examination assess?

The mandatory medical examination is conducted by an approved aeromedical centre. It will evaluate your physical fitness, check for any medical conditions, and determine how this and any associated treatment may affect the safety of your pilot duties. There is also a psychological examination to determine that you are mentally fit for the job. If you pass the examination, you will receive a medical certificate from the national civil aviation authority.

Can I wear glasses and become a pilot?

        Yes, glasses, contacts and refractive surgery are all (within certain limitations) acceptable ways to correct visual acuity problems. If you have further questions, please contact a Swedish Aero-Medical Center. 

What type of medical certificate do I need?

For CPL, ATPL, you need a Class 1 medical certificate.

For PPL, NR, IR, ATPL theory, you need a Class 2 medical certificate. In addition, if you hold a PPL with an instrument rating, you will need to undertake an audiometry test.

For how long is the medical certificate valid?


  • 12 months until the age of 40 (depending on the type of flying being performed)


  • 60 months until you are 40
  • 24 months if you are between 40 and 50
  • 12 months if you are over 50


Where can I get my medical examination?

There are two aeromedical centres in Sweden you can get the medical examination required before starting the course. When you are accepted to our ATPL program, we will help you schedule the medical examination.



What type of aircraft can I fly?

Pilot training is incremental and involves gaining the knowledge and skills to fly a range of aircraft types, from single-engine to multi-engine, and earning various instrument and operations ratings. Pilots can only fly an aircraft appropriate to their licence and rating type.

Are there any height or weight limits?

Although the aviation regulations does not contain any strict limits to weight or height several airlines have established recommended limits. These are usually restricting height between approx. 153 cm – 191 cm. Green Flight Academy does not have a strict height limit but you do need to be able to effectively reach all flight controls in the airplane. EASA medical requirements has a BMI limit of 35 over which a risk assessment will be done before the medical certificate is issued. It is however recommended to maintain a BMI between 18-25.

Can I do my pilot training part-time?

Domestic students can choose to undertake pilot training part-time. Please contact us  to discuss your needs. 

International students outside EU are only eligible for full-time training as part of their visa requirements. 

Where is Green Flight Academy located?

Green Flight Academy is located in the beautiful city of Skellefteå in Northern Sweden. Skellefteå is a modern city in Swedish Lapland and one of Europes center for green conversion. The city and region can offer you almost any adventure you can imagine besides our world-class flight training. Read more about Skellefteå here.

What do I need to be able to start the training?

To start your training, you will need the required VISA (if applicable), health or travel insurance, proof of identity and diploma or certificate of your highest education.

Do you accept international students at Green Flight Academy?

Green Flight Academy welcomes international students. We belive that a multicultural learning environment will help you feel comfortable working in different countries and with international airlines throughout your career.

What is a Pilot Aptitude Test?

A pilot aptitude test is a test to assess a specific set of skills needed to be a safe and effective pilot. It will not test your current knowledge about aviation. Rather it tests your mental capabilities to solve tasks and assesses your thought processing, memory, and multi-tasking skills. Some questions will also include some basic math’s and physics as well. At Green Flight Academy you will need to have a score of at least 75% to pass.

How can I prepare for the Aptitude Test?

You can revise on some math’s and physics before the test. Otherwise it can be hard to prepare for. Best advice would be to have a good night sleep and eat well before, and approach it in a calm and confident manner. 


Do I need a VISA to Sweden?

There might be particular requirements for obtaining the VISA depending on your citizenship or from which country you apply for the VISA. It is your responsibility to check such requirements at the embassy where you will apply for your VISA. Make sure that you have a valid passport for the duration of your training programme. We will provide you with documentation needed in a VISA process.

When should I apply for VISA to Sweden?

Application for a Schengen short-term VISA (3 months) can be filed within three months of the planned trip. Applications are, in most cases, reviewed within 7–15 days. In some cases, the review period can be extended up to 30 days and up to 60 days in exceptional circumstances.Applications for a Schengen long-term visa are, in most cases, reviewed within 1–3 months. In some cases, the review might take up to 6 months.

Do I qualify for a Visa?

In order to get a VISA the applicants must demonstrate that they meet visa requirements including:

  • Reside abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence
  • Intend to depart Sweden upon completion of the course of study
  • Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study
  • Bank statement 


Do you provide any financing or scholarships?

We are not providing student loans or scholarships. Your total cost will be divided into instalments during your course.  The instalment payment plan correlates with the costs for your training.

What about the application fee?

The application fee/first instalment EUR 4.980 will guarantee your seat and cover all the services provided by the Student Service Team.

How can I pay for my training?

Green flight Academy has an instalment plan for each course. For example, the airline pilot (ATPL) course can be paid in 20 instalments for the duration of the training programme. We accept most credit cards and certified bank transfers.

Accommodation & Transportation

Do you provide accommodation?

Yes, we do. Green Flight Academy’s student services team will assist you with renting student housing adjacent to the university campus. The accommodation is included in the course fee and a student room will be ready for you when you arrive. Read more about accommodation.

Who will meet me when I arrive in Sweden?

A representative from the Student Services Team will meet you at the airport when you arrive in Skellefteå and escort you to the university campus.


Am I guaranteed a job after graduation?

You are never guaranteed a job after an education. On the other hand, it is in our best interest that our students do well after graduation. Therefore, Green Flight Academy will give you all the tools and support to help you get ready to apply for jobs after graduation.

What is a type rating?

When you get your commercial pilots license, you are eligible to apply for a pilot jobs with the airlines. But in order to be certified to fly their aircraft (for example a Boeing 737 or an Airbus 320), you will need to do a type rating for the specific aircraft you will operate.

Is there a shortage of pilots?

Due to increase in air travel and high average age of the pilot class, many researches have shown that the future holds a pilot shortage. It’s estimated that for the next 20 years there will be a need for 800.000 new pilots. So becoming a pilot is a great investment for your future in a fun, diverse and exciting work environment.

This website uses cookies

On our website we use technical, analytical, marketing and preference cookies.
These are necessary for our site to work properly and to give us information about how our site is used. Read more