A sustainable future
We share the desire to reduce the impact on climate with many businesses around the world.
We firmly believe that people need to travel to meet each other face to face and to meet new people and new cultures.
This is a basic need for us humans to understand each other and the planet that we all share. But to continue doing this in the future, flying needs to have as low environmental footprint as possible.
That is why we are investing heavily in creating the world´s most sustainable flight academy with the latest technology.
We think improvements in sustainability has, and will continue to happen, in an incremental fashion. Travel and transportation are vital components of a modern economy and changes are incremental by necessity, not the least to maintain widespread public acceptance for sustainability measures.
Our path towards sustainability
Being sustainable is about ensuring climate savings from several aspects.
The local energy enterprise, Skellefteå Kraft delivers 100% renewable power (wind power and hydropower) to Green Flight Academys charging station at Skellefteå Airport.
Electric shuttle buses
Beside using electric aeroplanes in our basic training we also uses electric shuttle buses between our two training facilities. The shuttle bus will be charged at the airport and at campus with 100% renewable power.
When the batteries are used up, we can recycle them nearby. Boliden Smelter Rönnskär, which recycles batteries, metal and electricity, is located just outside the city.
The world's most sustainable ATPL programme
Green Flight Academy is a part of a development towards a more sustainable aviation industry, and we believe we are doing so by:
- Allocating up to 30% of the flight training in all-electric aeroplanes
- Flying the remainder in new, fuel-efficient aeroplanes
- Using simulators to the extent we are allowed to by EASA regulations
- Using 49% biofuel for hours in diesel aeroplanes
- Flying on best power settings for minimum fuel consumption and using green approaches, defined in SOP
- Having very high requirements for preparations before training flights to avoid re-flying lessons
- Purchasing only green electricity for all our operations
- Providing transport from airport to campus by electric bus
- Integrating sustainability awareness to the student curriculum
- Cooperation with airlines and other industry stakeholders on sustainability solutions
The basic flight training is carried out in Pipistrel Velis Electro charged with 100% renewable energy
Local energy enterprise Skellefteå Kraft is a driving force in working for a sustainable future. Skellefteå Kraft delivers 100% hydro power to Green Flight Academy.
Skellefteå Airport is one of Sweden’s, Europe’s and the World’s first fossil-free airports.
On a mission to establish a supply of sustainable batteries in Europe and enable #TheFutureOfEnergy
Swedish Lapland is the rolling hills and the roaring rivers. The vast woodlands and rural romance. But foremost, from the mountains to the sea, it is the perfect place for an adventure.
Follow Green Flight Academy